Losing your footing and falling while hiking is probably the most common type of injury hikers can succumb to on a hike. There are many ways a hiker can lose his balance and take a plunge. I know I’ve tripped on roots more times than I can count, but always seem to catch my balance before I fall. Slippery rocks is another big one, they don’t even have to be wet either. They can have a just little bit of mud or moss on them, that’s all it takes. In this article I’ll go over some of the best hiking shoes for slippery surfaces so you can be prepared.
Top 10 best hiking shoes for slippery surfaces
1. Salomon Xa Pro 3D – Top Pick
Here’s one choice by Salomon, the Xa Pro 3D. Salomon makes amazing, lightweight hiking shoes. They’re just a bit heavier than the Salomon X Ultra 2 below, weighing right at a pound. Design and style looks very similar to the Ultra 2 as well. Another great hiking shoe by Salomon.
- Contagrip with aggressive lug design ensures grip on all surfaces and terrain types
- Multiple reviewers say these do great on slippery rocks
- Water resistant
- Very durable and quality made from a name brand
- Comfortable and fit true to size
2. Merrell Moab 2 Waterproof Hiking Shoe
When I think of hiking shoes I usually think of Merrell, and when I think of Merrell I usually think of the MOAB 2 hiking shoes. These waterproof hiking shoes from Merrell provide great traction on slippery surfaces, look great, and are fine for wearing everyday as well.
- Great grip all surfaces, be careful on mud
- Excellent tread and traction
- Completely waterproof
- 100% Performance Suede Leather and Mesh
- Merrell fit true to size and make very comfortable hiking shoes
3. Salomon X Ultra 2 GTX Hiking Shoe
Salomon brings hiking shoes and trail runners together in the X Ultra 2 GTX hiking shoe. The shoe is extremely lightweight weighing in at just 14.5oz, compared to the Merrell MOAB above which are 17.6oz . The super light-weight of these shoes contributes to how comfortable they are on your feet. In addition, they look pretty cool and are very popular on Amazon.
- 100% GORE-TEX®
- Phenomenal grip
4. Adidas Outdoor Ax2 Hiking Shoe
The AX2 from Adidas are a contender as well. They have over 1200 5 star reviews on Amazon and are very popular. These are a bit cheaper than the 2 above, but aren’t waterproof either. Many Amazon reviewers have had good luck with the durability of Adidas hiking shoes, but I’ll personally be sticking to Merrell or Salomon.
- Super high traction rubber for optimal grip in wet conditions
- Neither water proof nor water resistant
- Lightweight and comfortable
- Great grip on slippery rocks
- Make good running shoes as well
Camel Crown makes hiking and outdoor adventure shoes that are specifically designed for being slip resistant. That doesn’t mean the others on this list that don’t say slip-resistant in the name are less so, however. These just advertise that feature. Despite their low price compared to some of the name brands like Merrell, Amazon reviewers praise their durability and overall quality.
- Slip-resistant with great traction and grip
- Lightweight and breathable
- Comfortable for any occasion
- Inexpensive yet well-made
- Water resistant
6. BomKinta Anti-Slip Lightweight, Breathable, Quick-Dry Hiking Shoes for Men
Definitely more of a generic hiking shoe, these anti-slip men’s hiking shoes might work for you if you’re on a budget. Although if you want something that is proven and going to withstand the test of time and some long hikes, you might consider another option. These would work great as a backup pair.
- Lightweight with breathable mesh
- Comfortable fit
- Might make good backup hiking shoes
- Not water resistant or waterproof
- Good budget option
7. Knixmax Lightweight,Non-slip, waterproof Hiking Shoes
Here’s a third low-cost option for non-slip hiking shoes for you. The Knixmax are very versatile and can be used for a variety of outdoor activities including hiking, camping, trekking, casual walking, or climbing to name a few. Not a ton of customer reviews yet on this shoe but the few it does have are all positive.
- Waterproof suede leather
- Flexible and lightweight
- Breathable mesh lining
- Run small, May need to order a size bigger
- Reliable grip and non-slip traction
8. KEEN Targhee II Hiking Shoe
Keen is another name brand hiking shoe that have been on the scene for a while. They make high quality hiking shoes and they look great too. The Targhee 2 are all around great hiking shoes and made to take a beating. The toe box gives added toe protection out on the trails and the aggressive lug pattern makes for some high traction hiking.
- Runs a half size small
- Do great for most on slippery surfaces
- Comfortable fit
- Highly durable backed by a 1 year warranty from KEEN
- High traction
9. Merrell All Out Blaze Aero Sport Hiking Water Shoe
I find these really intriguing, basically a hybrid between a hiking shoe and a water shoe… and they’re made by Merrell. They look great and perform well on all manny of terrain and slippery surfaces. Also, these are by far the lightest weight shoes on this list. I foresee these in my closet very soon!
- Breathable mesh lining with odor-preventing M Select FRESH technologies
- TC5+ Vibram outsole with 5 mm lug depth for high traction
- Complete water shoes in that they drain any water and dry out ultra quick
- Super lightweight at just 10.4 ounces
- Comfortable and backed by a name brand like Merrell
10. KEEN Voyageur Hiking Shoe
Another hiking shoe option from KEEN. Many of the same features as the Targhee above, with a slightly different look. The Targhee seemed to be a little more highly regarded among Amazon reviewers and are water resistant, where the Voyageurs are not.
- Leather and Mesh Upper for breathability
- Classic KEEN added toe protection
- Rugged exterior and comfortable interior
- Contoured heel lock
- Long term durability in question, reviews vary
Finding the best hiking shoes for slippery surfaces is a very specific use case. Most hiking shoes have plenty of tread and are pretty grippy in most cases. However, some hiking shoes are targeted specifically at being slip-resistant or anti-slip. For this hiker, I like the Merrell Waterproof MOAB 2 for an all around best hiking shoe for slippery surfaces and the Merrell Blaze Aero as a close second, because you can actually wear it directly in the water on wet rocks. The 2 hiking shoe options from Salomon would also make excellent choices, but any of the others on this list would get the job done. Those are just my top picks.